Place:


Farnley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnley like this:

FARNLEY, a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; within Leeds parliamentary borough, 2 miles W of Churwell r. station, and 4 SW by W of Leeds. Acres, 1, 990. Real property, £13, 280; of which £3, 704 are in mines, £1, 960 in ironworks, and £45 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 722; in 1861, 3, 064. ...


Houses, 619. The property is divided among a few. Farnley Hall is a chief residence. The increase of pop. arose from the establishment of ironworks, and the erection of houses for the operatives. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the cloth trade. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £204.* Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church was built in the last century, and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and P. Methodists, a national school, and an ironworks school.

Farnley through time

Farnley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farnley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21415

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farnley ".