Place:


Dunmore  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dunmore like this:

Dunmore, a village and a noble mansion in Airth parish, Stirlingshire. The village stands on the right shore of the Forth, 2 ¼ miles NNE of Airth station, and 8 ESE of Stirling, under which it has a post and telegraph office. Its small harbour is a place of call for the Stirling and Granton steamers. ...


The mansion, ¾ mile WSW of the village, is a plain castellated edifice, and stands amid splendid gardens and beautifully wooded grounds, containing and commanding delightful views. Its private Episcopal chapel, St Andrew's (1850-51), is a good Early English structure, with stained-glass windows, monuments to the two last earls, and an exquisite marble one to the Hon. Mrs C. A. Murray, who died in 1851. Beneath the chapel is the Dunmore mausoleum, and close to it is the tower of the old Elphinstone castle. Dunmore is the chief Scottish seat of Charles Adolphus Murray, seventh Earl of Dunmore since 1686 (b. 1841; suc. 1845), who is fifth in descent from the second son of the first Marquis of Athole, and who owns in Stirlingshire 4620 acres, valued at £8923 per annum. See Harris.

Dunmore through time

Dunmore is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dunmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dunmore, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21396

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dunmore ".