Place:


Boddam  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Boddam like this:

Boddam, a rising fishing village of E Aberdeenshire, in the parish, and 3½ miles S of the town, of Peterhead. Of its two harbours, separated by the beach of round stones that joins Buchan Ness to the mainland, and screened by that lighthouse peninsula from the sea, the southern admits only fishing boats, but the northern has a good pier, capable of receiving vessels of moderate draught, and constructed chiefly at the cost (over £2000) of the late Earl of Aberdeen about 1845, when Boddam was made a port by Act of Parliament. ...


The fisheries of herring, haddock, and cod employ some 65 boats, and the fish dried here have a high repute. Three furlongs to the S are the ruins of Boddam Castle, the seat of the Keiths of Ludquharn; and at the clean and well-built village itself, which stands at an altitude of 70 feet above sea-level, are a post office under Peterhead, an Established chapel of ease, and a handsome public school (rebuilt 1876), which, with accommodation for 270 children, had in 1879 an average attendance of 169, and a grant of £137,11s. Pop. of village (1840) 460, (1861) 550, (1871) 803 (1881) 1010; of registration district (1871) 1310, (1881) 1766.—Ord. Sur., sh. 87,1876.

Boddam through time

Boddam is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boddam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boddam in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21345

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boddam ".