Place:


Bellshill  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bellshill like this:

Bellshill, a mining town of Bothwell parish, N Lanarkshire, 9 miles by road ESE of Glasgow, 35/8 S of Coatbridge, and 4 N by E of Hamilton, with stations on the Uddingston and Holytown branch of the Caledonian, and on the Glasgow, Coatbridge, and Hamilton branch of the North British-both opened in 1878. ...


It has a post office, with money order and savings' bank departments, gasworks, a branch of the Bank of Scotland, and Established (1876), Free (1874), U.P., and Evangelical Union churches, having in 1878 been erected into a quoad sacra parish, in the presbytery of Hamilton and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. Two schools, Bellshill and West End, had (1879) a respective accommodation for 288 and 262 children, an average attendance of 232 and 187, and grants of £176,8s., and £163,12s. 6d. Pop. (1841) 1013, (1861) 2945, (1871) 2233, (1881) 2572, many of them colliers or iron-workers.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31,1867.

Bellshill through time

Bellshill is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bellshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bellshill in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21336

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bellshill ".