Place:


Bedford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bedford like this:

BEDFORD, a township and a chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Tyldesley and Kenyon branch railway, 1 mile ENE of Leigh; and has a station on the railway. Post Town, Leigh, under Manchester. Acres, 2,438. Real property, £11,144. Pop., 6,558. Houses, 1,323. The property is much subdivided. ...


There are cotton and silk mills, an iron foundry, collieries, and brickfields. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and was constituted in 1842. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Leigh. The church is recent; and there are Methodist and Roman Catholic chapels and a national school.

Bedford through time

Bedford is now part of Wigan district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wigan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bedford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bedford, in Wigan and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21334

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bedford ".