Place:


Swallowfield  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swallowfield like this:

SWALLOWFIELD, a parish, with a village, in Wokingham district, Berks; on the river Blackwater, 3¾ miles E of Mortimer r. station, and 6 S by E of Reading. It has a post-office under Reading, and a fair on 9 June. Acres, 3,712. Real property, £6,345. Pop. 1,265. Houses, 266. The manor belongs to H. ...


L. Hunter, Esq. S. Park is the seat of SirRussell, Bart.; and was the place where Clarendon wrote his "History." Farley-Hill Castle, Farley-Hill House, and Wyvols Court also are good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £180. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient but good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a parochial school, and charities £8.

Swallowfield through time

Swallowfield is now part of Wokingham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wokingham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swallowfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swallowfield, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2132

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swallowfield ".