In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Vauxhall like this:
VAUXHALL, a chapelry in Liverpool parish, Lancashire; within Liverpool borough. It was constituted in 1847: and its Post town is Liverpool. Pop. in 1861, 8,512. Houses, 1,346. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. See Liverpool.
Not marked on 1st series or New Popular one-inch maps, but shown on modern 1:25,000 map.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Vauxhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Liverpool. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Vauxhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Vauxhall, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Vauxhall".