Place:


Tonge  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tonge like this:

TONGE, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies 1¼ mile NE of Bolton r. station. Post town, Bolton. Acres, with Haulgh, 1,030. Real property, with Haulgh, £11,421; of which £800 are in mines and £375 in railways. ...


Pop. of T. alone, 1,521. Houses, 287. The property is divided among a few. Cotton manufacture is carried on. Two kistvaens, an earthen urn, and some ancient armour were found in a barrow in 1821.—The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2,884. Houses, 524. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £187. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern. Charities, £37.—The sub-district contains four townships. Acres, 3,100. Pop., 7,156. Houses, 1,426.

Tonge through time

Tonge is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tonge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tonge, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21274

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tonge ".