Place:


Didsbury  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Didsbury like this:

DIDSBURY, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Chorlton district, Lancashire. The chapelry is in Manchester parish; was constituted in 1838; lies on the river Mersey, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3 miles W of Stockport; and has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1, 527. Real property, £13, 116. ...


Pop., 1,829. Houses, 364. The property is much subdivided. Didsbury House is a chief residence. There are large cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is old but very good; and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan Methodist College. There are also schools with £51 from endowment; and other charities with £17.—The sub-district contains also three other townships. Acres, 5, 948. Pop., 5, 904. Houses, 978.

Didsbury through time

Didsbury is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Didsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Didsbury, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21264

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Didsbury ".