Place:


Blackley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Blackley like this:

BLACKLEY, a village, two chapelries, and a subdistrict, in Manchester parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Irk, near the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3 miles N of Manchester; and has a post office under Manchester, and a police station. The chapelries are B. and B.-St. ...


Andrew. Acres, 1,764. Real property, £10,955. Pop., 4,112. Houses, 838. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactures and in extensive dye-works. The livings are rectories. Value of B., £182.* B. church was rebuilt in 1835; and is in the early English style, with a fine tower. St. A. church was built in 1866. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a mechanics' institution, a Church institute, public schools, and a reformatory.-The subdistrict includes also Harpurhey township.

Blackley through time

Blackley is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Blackley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Blackley, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21252

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Blackley ".