Place:


Lecropt  Perthshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Lecropt like this:

Lecropt, a parish chiefly in Perthshire and partly in Stirlingshire, containing the station and part of the post-town of Bridge of Allan, 3 miles NNW of Stirling. It is bounded N and NE by Dunblane, E by Logie, S by Stirling, SW by Kincardine, and NW by Kilmadock. Its utmost length, from N to S, is 3¼ miles; its breadth, from E to W, varies between 3½ furlongs and 2½ miles; and its area is 3033 acres, of which 2306 belong to the Perthshire section, whilst 2 are foreshore and 62½ water. ...


The Teith flows 2¾ miles south-eastward along the Kincardine border to the Forth, which itself winds 1½ mile eastward along the boundary with Stirling, till it is joined by Allan Water, for the last 2¼ miles roughly tracing the Logie boundary. A beautiful bank extends through the middle of the parish, almost from end to end, and commands magnificent prospects of the basins of the Teith and Forth, and of the hills and grand mountain summits which screen and encincture them. The surface all S of that bank is rich carse land, without a single stone or pebble, tastefully enclosed and highly cultivated; and the surface N of the bank rises with gentle ascent to a height of 300 feet above sea-level, and exhibits rich results of agricultural improvement. The name Lecropt signifies 'the half of the hill,' and alludes to the configuration of the parochial surface. The predominant rock is Old Red- sandstone; and the soil of the carse lands is strong argillaceous alluvium; and of the higher grounds is chiefly loam or humus. Nearly all the land is arable, or park, or under wood. In the 2d century A.D.Alauna, a town of the Damnonii, stood at the junction of Allan Water with the Forth-'a position which guarded what was for many centuries the great entrance to Caledonia from the South.' Numerous ancient Caledonian forts were formerly on the heights of the Keir estate; and one of them, called the Fairy Knowe, of circular outline and 15 feet high, still crowns an eminence near Sunnylaw farm. With in Keir grounds is the beautiful old burying-ground of Lecropt; and near the parish church are court and gallow hills of feudal date. Keir, noticed separately, is the chief mansion; and Sir John Stirling-Maxwell, Bart., divides most of the parish with the Earl of Moray. Lecropt is in the presbytery of Dunblane and synod of Perth and Stirling; the living is worth £237. The parish church, near Bridge of Allan station, is a handsome modern edifice, Gothic in style, and amply commodious; and the public school, with accommodation for 107 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 92, and a grant of £89, 4s. Valuation (1865) £3086, 1s. 2d., (1883) £6254, 1s. 3d., of which £3247, 1s. 9d. was for the Perthshire section. Pop. (1801) 508, (1831) 443, (1861) 538, (1 871) 535, (1881) 602, of whom 400 were in Stirlingshire and 335 of these in Bridge of Allan.—Ord. Sur., sh. 39, 1869.

Lecropt through time

Lecropt is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lecropt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lecropt, in Stirling and Perthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21225

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lecropt ".