Place:


Whitland  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitland like this:

WHITLAND, a village in Llanboidy parish, Carmarthen; on the river Taf, near the South Wales railway, 5½ miles W by S of St. Clears. It has a post-office‡ under Narberth, and a r. station with telegraph. W. Abbey is the seat of the Hon. W. Yelverton; and occupies the site of a Cistertian priory, founded in 1143 by Bishop Bernard, and called Ty-Gwyn-ar-Tav, the White-House-on-Taff, or Alba-Landa.

Whitland through time

Whitland is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitland in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21222

Date accessed: 22nd May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitland ".