Place:


Trematon  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Trematon like this:

TREMATON, a village suburban to Saltash, in Cornwall; 3½ miles NW of Devonport. S. Castle here was built about the time of the Norman conquest; became annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall; was the place of a stannary court, which gave rise to the proverbial phrase "Trematon law;" suffered spoliation by the rebels in 1549; and is now represented by extensive and interesting ruins. A modern mansion adjoins the ruins, and was built by the late T. B. Tucker, Esq.

Trematon through time

Trematon is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Trematon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Trematon, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21118

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Trematon ".