Place:


Shuttleworth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shuttleworth like this:

SHUTTLEWORTH, a village and a chapelry in Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth township, Bury parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the river Irwell and to the Manchester and Bacup railway, near Summerseat and Ramsbottom-Junction r. stations, 4 miles N of Bury; is nearly a mile long; and has a post-office under Bury, Lancashire, and a library and reading room. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Rated property, £6,497. Pop., 2,889. Houses, 540. Much of the property belongs to the Earl of Derby. The family of Shuttleworth settled here in the time of Richard II., and took their name from the locality. Bleak Holt is the seat of R. Howarth, Esq. A chain of hills is in the S, and has collieries and stone-quarries. Whittle Pike attains an altitude of 1,614 feet above sea-level. Another hill is crowned with Grant's tower, 50 feet high, containing spacious rooms, and commanding a magnificent view. A reservoir, formed in 1836, collects plentiful supplies of water, for mills and factories, from Whittle hill, Facit, and Scout. There are cotton-mills, bleach-works, woollen-mills, and paper-mills. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £160. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1847. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists, and a national school.

Shuttleworth through time

Shuttleworth is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shuttleworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shuttleworth, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21072

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shuttleworth ".