Place:


Saltfleet  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltfleet like this:

SALTFLEET, a village and a sub-district in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands on the coast, 9½ miles E N E of Louth; is in Skidbrook parish; bears the alternative name of Saltfleet-Haven; was once a considerable market-town; appears to have, at some time, been almost totally destroyed by invasion of the sea; is still a sub-port to Boston, and a sea-bathing resort; and has a Wesleyan chapel, a U. ...


Free Methodist chapel, and a stock fair on 3 Oct. Pop., about 300.—The sub-district contains Sidbrook parish, the three Saltfleet by parishes, and 13 other parishes. Acres, 39, 876. Pop., 5, 503. Houses, 1, 192.

Saltfleet through time

Saltfleet is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saltfleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltfleet, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21064

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saltfleet ".