Place:


Norman Cross  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norman Cross like this:

NORMANCROSS, a hamlet and a hundred in the N of Huntingdon. The hamlet lies on Ermine-street, 1 mile N by W of Stilton; was known to the Saxons as Northmannescros; had barracks for French prisoners during the war with France; and has a police station and sessions-house, erected in 1866-7, at a cost of £1, 164. The hundred contains Stilton parish, twenty-three other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 50, 321. Pop. in 1851, 11, 291; in 1861, 12, 324. Houses, 2, 598.

Norman Cross through time

Norman Cross is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norman Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norman Cross in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21033

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norman Cross ".