Place:


Newport  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newport like this:

NEWPORT, a quondam borough in St. Stephen-by-Launceston parish, Cornwall; on a branch of the river Tamar, adjacent to Launceston, and separated from that town only by a narrow rivulet. It anciently was joined to Launceston, under the name of Dunheved. It separately sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI. till the passing of the Reform act; and it then was disfranchised, and incorporated with Launceston. It is a small place; and, but for connexion with Launceston, would be a mere village.

Newport through time

Newport is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newport in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21029

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newport ".