Place:


Mostyn  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mostyn like this:

MOSTYN, a village and a chapelry in Whitford parish, Flint. The village stands on the coast of the Dee's estuary, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, 3¼ miles NW by N of Holywell; has a station on the railway, and a post office,‡ of the name of Mostyn Quay, under Holywell, and a good inn; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Mostyn. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Real property, £10,783; of which £7,161 are in mines. Pop., 1,640. Houses, 343. The property is divided among a few, Mostyn Hall is the seat of Lord Mostyn; was formerly called Tremostyn; dates partly from the time of Henry VI.; is main ly Tudor, and has been much modernized; includes an ancient hall, hung with tapestry; contains many family portraits, including one of Sir Roger Mostyn and his lady by Mytens; contains also a curious pedigree-roll, and a very interesting ancient golden torque; was the scene of a remarkable escape of Henry of Richmond, afterwards Henry VII., from some troops of Richard III.; and is approached by a fine old gateway and an avenue of trees. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is good; and there. are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists.

Mostyn through time

Mostyn is now part of Flintshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Flintshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mostyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mostyn in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21017

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mostyn ".