Place:


Miles Platting  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Miles Platting like this:

MILES-PLATTING, a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1¼ mile ENE of Victoria station in Manchester. It consists of a suburb in Manchester city; has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office† under Manchester; and was constituted in 1856. ...


Pop., 5,153. Houses, 1,035. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £239.* Patron, Sir T. P. Heywood, Bart. The church is in the Italian style, and contains about 750 sittings. A Wesleyan chapel, in the pointed style, with 700 sittings, at a cost of £2,611, was built in the neighbourhood, in Oldham-road, in 1866. A noted Wesleyan school, known as Ryder's school, was for years the only place of religions instruction in the suburbs.

Miles Platting through time

Miles Platting is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Miles Platting itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Miles Platting, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21010

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Miles Platting ".