Place:


Heaton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heaton like this:

HEATON, a village and a chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an acclivity, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the Bradford branch of the North Midland railway, 2 miles NNW of Bradford; and has a post office under Bradford, Yorkshire. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Frizinghall, Heaton-Royds, Heaton-Shaye, Chellow, Chellow Heights, and Towler-Lane. ...


Acres, 1,296. Real property, £5,755; of which £260 are in mines, and £302 in quarries. Pop., 1,673. Houses, 347. The manor belongs to the Earl of Rosse. Heaton Hall is occupied by H. Harris, Esq. There are extensive quarries and several factories. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1864, is a handsome edifice, and stands on a conspicuous site. There are two chapels for Baptists, and two for Wesleyans.

Heaton through time

Heaton is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heaton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20945

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heaton ".