Place:


Haughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haughton like this:

HAUGHTON, a village and a township in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to Denton, on the river Tame, and on the Stalybridge and Stockport railway, at the boundary with Cheshire, 3½ miles NNE of Stockport; and shares with Denton village an ancient felt hat manufactnre, and an important present trade. The township comprises 1, 130 acres. Real property, £10, 848; ofwhich £2, 489 are in mines, and £20 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 042; in 1861, 3, 371. Houses, 687. Coal mining is largely carried on.

Haughton through time

Haughton is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haughton, in Tameside and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20944

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haughton ".