Place:


Forest Gate  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forest Gate like this:

FOREST-GATE, a village in West Ham parish, and a chapelry in West Ham and East Ham parishes, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, near Epping Forest, 1¼ mile ENE of Stratford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stratford, London E. The chapelry was constituted in 1852. Pop., 3, 792. Houses, 584. Pop., of the West Ham portion, 3, 437. Houses, 524. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £220. Patron, alternately the Vicar of West Ham and the Vicar of East Ham.

Forest Gate through time

Forest Gate is now part of Newham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forest Gate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forest Gate, in Newham and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20920

Date accessed: 24th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forest Gate ".