Place:


Etruria  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Etruria like this:

ETRURIA-popularly Trury, a village and a chapelry in Shelton township, Stoke -upon - Trent parish, Stafford. The village stands on the North Stafford railway, and on the Grand Trunk canal, 1 mile SSE of Burslem; and has a station on the railway, a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent, and a chief inn. ...


It was founded and named by Josiah Wedgewood; was the scene of many of those inventions and improvements by which he carried the manufacture of pottery to a state of high excellence; and was the place of his death, at Etruria Hall, in 1795. Gas-works here, established in 1820, at a cost of £35, 000, supply great part of the pottery district. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 2, 922. Houses, 603. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is a good edifice in the Saxon style; and there are chapels for Wesleyans, New Connexion Methodists, and Unitarians.

Etruria through time

Etruria is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Etruria itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Etruria, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20913

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Etruria ".