Place:


Dalston  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dalston like this:

DALSTON, a chapelry in St. John-Hackney parish, Middlesex; on the North London railway, contiguous to Hackney, 3 miles NNE of St. Paul's, London. It has a post office‡ under London NE, and a r. station; was constituted in 1848; and contains some old houses, many new ones, the German hospital, and the Refuge or the destitute. ...


Pop., 10, 247. Houses, 1, 740. The living bears the name of St. Philip's, and is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rector of St. John-Hackney. The church was built in 1841, at a cost of £5, 700. There is another church, St. Mark's, with separate incumbency. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rector of West Hackney.

Dalston through time

Dalston is now part of Hackney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hackney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalston, in Hackney and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20890

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalston ".