Place:


Chorlton cum Hardy  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chorlton Cum Hardy like this:

CHORLTON-CUM-HARDY, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; near the river Mersey and the North Western railway, 3½ miles SW of Manchester. It has a post office under Manchester. Acres, 1, 265. Real property, £4, 928. Pop., 73o. Houses, 147. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £103. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The church was built in 1866, at a cost of £5, 000. There are chapels for Independents and Methodists.

Chorlton cum Hardy through time

Chorlton Cum Hardy is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chorlton Cum Hardy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chorlton cum Hardy, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20874

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chorlton Cum Hardy ".