Place:


Bossiney  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bossiney like this:

BOSSINEY, a village in Tintagel parish, Cornwall, in a bleak tract, 4½ miles NNW of Camelford. Pop., 87. It was once a market-town; and it sent two members to parliament from the time of Henry III. till disfranchised by the act of 1832. It consists of mean cottages; and stands round a large barrow, on which the writ of election used to be read. Sir Francis Drake, Sir Francis Cottington, and other distinguished men represented it in parliament. A singular cove, small, and murky, called Bossiney Hole, is under the cliffs on the adjacent coast.

Bossiney through time

Bossiney is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bossiney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bossiney in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20680

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bossiney ".