Place:


Bindon  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bindon like this:

BINDON, a hamlet in Wool parish, and a liberty in Cerne, Wareham, and Wimborne divisions, Dorset. The hamlet lies on the river Frome, and on the Southwestern railway, ½ a mile E of Wool station, and 5 W by S of Wareham. A Cistertian Abbey was founded here, in 1172, by Robert de Newburgh; was given, at the dissolution, to Thomas, Lord Poynings; descended to the Earl of Suffolk; and was sold to the family of Weld. ...


The remains of it, in foundation walls of the church, have been cleared out, and include part of the tomb of one of the abbots; and some features of the grounds connected with it, in canals, fish ponds, and shady walks, amid thick wood, have been restored to their original state. The materials of the buildings were carried off for the construction of Lulworth Castle, the seat of Lords Suffolk and the Welds. Bindon Hill, in the vicinity, towards the coast, has sand cliffs, succeeded by snowy precipices.-The liberty includes the parishes of Wool and Chaldon-Herring, and parts of three other parishes; but its limits, in some directions, are not defined.

Bindon through time

Bindon is now part of Purbeck district. Click here for graphs and data of how Purbeck has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bindon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bindon, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20670

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bindon ".