Place:


Bassaleg  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bassaleg like this:

BASSALEG, or Bassalleg, a village and a parish in Newport district, Monmouth. The village stands in the vale of the Ebbw, at the junction of the Western Valleys and the Sirhowy railways, adjacent to Tredegar Park, 3 miles WNW of Newport; and it has a station at the railway junction, and a post office under Newport. ...


A priory of Black monks, a cell to the abbey of Glastonbury, was founded here about 1110, by Robert de Haya; but went into decay before the general dissolution. The parish includes also the hamlets of Duffryn, Craig, and Rogerstone. Acres, 6,955. Real property, £10,811. Pop., 2,169. Houses, 435. The property is all in one estate. Traces of a Saxon camp, called Craeg-y-Saesson, occur on the brow of a hill about a mile from the village; and traces of a British one, called Pen-y-Park-Newydd, occur about a mile further. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £318. Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is an ancient structure, with an embattled tower. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £23.

Bassaleg through time

Bassaleg is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bassaleg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bassaleg, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20665

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bassaleg ".