Place:


Bicton  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bicton like this:

BICTON, a chapelry in St. Chad and St. Alkmond parishes, Salop; on the river Severn, and on Watlingstreet, near the Shrewsbury and Oswestry railway, 3 miles NW by W of Shrewsbury. It was constituted in 1853; and it has a post office, of the name of Bicton-Heath, under Shrewsbury. Rated property, £4,650. Pop., 569. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of St. Chad. The church is good.

Bicton through time

Bicton is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bicton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bicton, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2052

Date accessed: 18th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bicton ".