Place:


Richards Castle  Herefordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Richards Castle like this:

RICHARDS-CASTLE, a village in Hereford, and a parish partly also in Salop, but all in the district of Ludlow. The village stands adjacent to the boundary with Salop, 1¾ mile W N W of Woofferton r. station, and 3½ S S W of Ludlow; and was once a market-town. The parish includes the townships of Woofferton, Overton, Moor, and Batchcott; and its post town is Ludlow. ...


Acres of the Hereford portion, 2, 446. Real property, £2, 365. Pop., 313. Houses, 67. Acres of the Salopportion, 2, 425. Real property, £4, 169. Pop., 397. Houses, 76. The property is all in one estate. A castle was built here, before the Norman conquest, by Richard Scrope; and has left some traces. The royalists were routed, in the vicinity, in 1645, by Col. Birch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £745.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is old but good, and has a detached tower.

Richards Castle through time

Richards Castle is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Richards Castle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Richards Castle, in South Shropshire and Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20423

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Richards Castle ".