Place:


Borden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Borden like this:

BORDEN, a parish in Milton district, Kent; on the Chatham and Dover railway, 1½ mile W of Sittingbourne. It has a post office under Sittingbourne. Acres, 2,132. Real property, £5,886. Pop., 1,023. Houses, 204. The property is divided among a few. Many Roman coins, and foundations of two Roman buildings, were discovered at Sutton-Barn here in 1846. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £290.* Patron, Rev. F. E. Tuke. The church has a Norman west door and a Norman tower, and includes some Roman bricks in its walls. A charity for the poor, for widows, and for other purposes, has £1,327 a year; and other charities have £17. Dr. Plot, the author of the county histories of Oxford and Stafford, was born at Sutton-Barn; and a mural monument to him is in the church.

Borden through time

Borden is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Borden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Borden, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2030

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Borden ".