Place:


Fort Augustus  Inverness Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fort Augustus like this:

Fort Augustus, vil., on the Caledonian Canal, and at the head of Loch Ness, Inverness-shire, 31½ miles NW. of Fort William and 32½ miles SE. of Inverness, pop. 530; P.O., T.O. The fort, built after the rebellion of 1715, was occupied by a garrison until 1857; in 1876-1880 it was transformed, by extensive alterations, into St Benedict's Monastery (raised to the dignity of an abbey, 1882), with college, hospitium, scriptorium, and church. The college is designed to provide a liberal education for the sons of the Catholic nobility and gentry.

Fort Augustus through time

Fort Augustus is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fort Augustus itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fort Augustus, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20281

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fort Augustus ".