Place:


Deane  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deane like this:

DEANE, a village and a parish in Bolton district, Lancashire. The village stands near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 1¾ mile SW of Bolton; and has a post office under Bolton. The parish contains also the townships of Kersley, Farmworth, Little Hulton, Middle Hulton, Over Hulton, Rumworth, Westhoughton, Heaton, Halliwell, and Horwich. ...


Acres, 19, 340. Real property, £157, 633; of which £46, 743 are in mines. and £642 in quarries. Pop., 35, 746. Houses, 7, 077. The property, in many parts, is much subdivided. Large part of the population is employed in cotton factories, bleachfields, and coal-mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £350 * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and was recently enlarged. The vicarages of Halliwell-St. Peter, Halliwell-St Paul, Westhoughton, Wingates, and Horwich, and the p. curacy of Peel or Little Hulton, are separate benefices. Marsh, the martyr, was a native and vicar.

Deane through time

Deane is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deane itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deane, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20246

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deane ".