Place:


Dalmally  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dalmally like this:

Dalmally, a village in Glenorchy parish, Argyllshire, on the left bank of the Orchy, near the north-eastern extremity of Loch Awe, with a station on the Callander and Oban railway, 24½ miles E of Oban, 62¼ WNW of Stirling, and 16 by road NNE of Inverary. Nestling among trees, and ...


at the same time commanding magnificent views of the basin and mountain screens of Loch Awe, it is a favourite resort of anglers, and has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, an hotel, a Free church, a public school, and a fair on the Friday of October after Kilmichael; whilst on an islet in the Orchy here stands Glenorchy parish church (1811; 570 sittings), an octagonal Gothic structure with a spire.

Dalmally through time

Dalmally is now part of Argyll and Bute district. Click here for graphs and data of how Argyll and Bute has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dalmally itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dalmally in Argyll and Bute | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20244

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dalmally ".