Place:


Combe in Teignhead  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Combe in Teignhead like this:

COMBINTEIGNHEAD, or Combe-in-Teignhead, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands in the Teign valley, about ½ a mile from the Teign river, 3 miles E of Newton Junction r. station, and 5 N of Torquay. The parish includes also the hamlets of Combe-Cellars, Netherton, and Rocombe; and its post town is Teignmouth. ...


Acres, 2, 407; of which 190 are water. Real property, £3, 078. Pop., 417. Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £324.* Patron, J. W. Harding and W. Long, Esqs. The church is old; consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with a square tower; has a carved oak screen; and was repaired in 1853.

Combe in Teignhead through time

Combe in Teignhead is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Combe in Teignhead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Combe in Teignhead, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20233

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Combe in Teignhead ".