Place:


Coatbridge  Lanarkshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Coatbridge like this:

Coatbridge, town with ry. sta., Old Monkland par., N. Lanarkshire, 8¾ miles E. of Glasgow, 34 miles SW. of Edinburgh, and 385 miles NW. of London, pop. 17,500; P.O., T.O., 4 Banks; stands in a district rich in minerals, and is the centre of the iron trade of Scotland. In the neighbourhood are numerous blast furnaces, including those of Gartsherrie. Summerlee, Dundyvan, Langloan, and Calder. All the heavier metallurgical industries -- malleable iron, iron-wire, and tin-plates -- are extensively prosecuted.

Coatbridge through time

Coatbridge is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coatbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20231

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coatbridge ".