Place:


Clifton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Clifton like this:

Clifton, watering-place and par. with ry. sta., forming W. suburb and part of the parl. and mun. bor. of Bristol, W. Gloucestershire, pop. 22,915,4 Banks; is situated on the sides and summit of lofty cliffs overhanging the Avon, and rising in St Vincent Rocks to the height of 308 ft. The river, which is here navigable, is crossed by a magnificent suspension bridge, designed by Brunel; it has a span of 702 ft., and the roadway is 245 ft. ...


above high-water. The once celebrated hot springs, to which, in the beginning of the 18th century, the place owed its rise, are no longer frequented. C. College, a proprietary grammar-school, giving education to 550 boys, has a high reputation. On C. Down are remains of ancient earthworks.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Bristol district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bristol has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in Bristol and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20229

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton ".