Place:


Carlton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLTON, a parish in Blything district, Suffolk; on the East Suffolk railway, ¾ of a mile NW of Saxmundham. Post Town, Saxmundham. Acres, 543. Real property, £1,132. Pop., 116. Houses, 26. A chantry was founded here, in 1330, by John Framlingham; and given to the Honings. Carlton Hall belongs to Lady Stradbroke The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Kelsale, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is Norman. Charities, £56.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20222

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".