Place:


Cardeston  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cardeston like this:

CARDESTON, or Cardiston, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; near the river Severn, 5 miles S by W of Baschurch r. station, and 6½ W of Shrewsbury. It includes part of Wattlesborough township; and its Post Town is Alberbury, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 2,400. Real property, £3,478. Pop., 294. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £274. Patron, Sir B. Leighton, Bart. The church is very good.

Cardeston through time

Cardeston is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cardeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardeston, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20221

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cardeston ".