Place:


Calverleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calverleigh like this:

CALVERLEIGH, a parish in Tiverton district, Devon; in the vicinity of the Western canal, 2¼ miles NW of Tiverton r. station. Post Town, Tiverton. Acres, 501. Real property, £874. Pop., 86. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, from the time of King John till that of Henry VIII., to the Calwoodleys; and belongs now to J.Nagle, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £161. Patron, G. W. Owen, Esq. The church is old and good, with a low turreted tower.

Calverleigh through time

Calverleigh is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calverleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calverleigh in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20216

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calverleigh ".