Place:


Buntingford  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Buntingford like this:

BUNTINGFORD, a village, a chapelry, and a subdistrict, in Royston district, Herts. The village stands on the river Rib, at the terminus of a branch railway deflecting from the London and Hertford line at St. Margaret's, and is 13 miles, by road, N by E of Hertford. It is a decayed old town; consists chiefly of one street; is a seat of petty sessions, and a polling-place; and has a head post office,‡ a railway station, three places of worship, a grammar school, almshouses, and a workhouse. ...


The grammar school and the almshouses were founded, in the 17th century, by Bishop Seth Ward, who was a native; and have respectively £13 and £99 from endowment; and the former sends four scholars to Christ's College, Cambridge. The workhouse was built at a cost of £2,658. A weekly market is held on Monday; and fairs on 29 June and 30 Nov. The chapelry includes the village; and is in the four parishes of Layston, Aspeden Throcking, and Wyddiall. Pop., 581. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Layston, in the diocese of Rochester.-The subdistrict contains fifteen parishes, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 28,351. Pop., 6,389. Houses, 1,355.

Buntingford through time

Buntingford is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buntingford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buntingford in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20207

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buntingford ".