Place:


Anderston  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Anderston like this:

Anderston, a suburb of Glasgow, and a quoad sacra parish in Barony parish, Lanarkshire. The suburb adjoins the western extremity of Argyle Street stood quite apart from Glasgow till about 1830 or later communicated with Glasgow by an open thoroughfare, called Anderston Walk, at present the middle and western parts of Argyle Street. ...


Completely enveloped now in the western extensions of Glasgow, it stands amidst these extensions with old dingy features of its own, in strong contrast to those of the surrounding architecture: impinges on the Clyde along what is now a dense and very busy part of the harbour, but what formerly lay all far westward beyond the old harbour's lower extremity: comprises a main street deflecting at an acute angle from Argyle Street and leading on toward Partick, a number of narrow old streets very densely peopled, and a number of newer or more airy ones, mostly going parallel with one another to the Clyde: being bounded E by M 'Alpine Street, N by close but irregular impact of the spacious streets of the new Glasgow western extension, W by Finnieston. It was constituted a borough of barony by Crown charter in 1824: had a town council consisting of a provost, 3 bailies, a treasurer, and 11 councillors, elected by proprietors for liferenters of heritable subjects, and by tenants paying £20 or upwards of annual rent: was annexed in 1846 to the municipal borough of Glasgow: has, since that time, returned a certain proportion of members to the city council and shares largely in much of the industry of Glasgow, particularly in various kinds of factories, and in foundries and ship-building yards. In or near it are 4 churches of the Establishment, 4 of the Free Church, 3 of United Presbyterians, 1 of Independents, 1 of Methodists, 1 of Plymouth Brethren, and 1 of Episcopalians. One of the Established churches bears distinctively the name of Anderston: stands at the corner of St Vincent Street and Dumbarton Road: was built in 1865 at a cost of £7000: supplied the place of an old chapel of ease in Clyde Street, destroyed by fire 1849: ranked itself as a chapel of ease till 1875: contains 1000 sittings: and is now the quoad sacra parish church. One of the Free churches also bears distinctively the name of Anderston. One of the United Presbyterian churehes likewise bears distinctively the name of Anderston: and is a spacious, neat, comparatively recent erection in lieu of a previous old plain building. The quoad sacra parish was constituted in 1875: had then a population of about 7000, and is in the presbytery of Glasgow and synod of Glasgow and Ayr. One of the ten registration districts of Glasgow takes name from Anderston, and had, in 1881, a population of 39,069.

The location is that given for the burgh by Groome.

Anderston through time

Anderston is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Anderston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Anderston, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20164

Date accessed: 20th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Anderston ".