Place:


Clwyd  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clwyd like this:

CLWYD (The), a river of Denbigh. It rises on Broubanog mountain, 7 miles NW of Corwen; makes a semi-circular sweep of about 12 miles southward, eastward, and northward, to Ruthin; and then goes about 19 miles north-north-westward, past Llanynnys, St. Asaph, and Rhyddlan, to the sea at Rhyl. Its course, from above Ruthin, lies along. a fertile, beautiful, romantic vale, called Dyffryn-Clwyd. The Vale of Clwyd railway, from the Chester and Holyhead line, near Rhyl, to Denbigh, was opened in 1858; and a continuation of it, from Denbigh, past Ruthin, to Corwen, was opened in 1864.

Clwyd through time

Clwyd is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clwyd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clwyd in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20137

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clwyd ".