Place:


Osgoldcross  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osgoldcross like this:

OSGOLDCROSS, a wapentake in W. R. Yorkshire; bounded, on the N, by the river Aire, on the E, by Lincolnshire, on the S E and the S, by Strafforth and Tickhill, on the W, by Agbrigg and Staincross; and cut into two divisions, lower and upper. The l. div. contains Aldingfleet parish, three other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 58,001. Pop. in 1851, 15, 910. Houses, 3, 369. The u. div. contains Ackworth parish, eleven other parishes, and parts of three others. Acres, 48, 921. Pop. in 1851, 18, 199. Houses, 3, 844. Pop.of the whole in 1861, 37,031. Houses, 8,031.

Osgoldcross through time

Osgoldcross is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osgoldcross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osgoldcross, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20068

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osgoldcross ".