Place:


Preston  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston like this:

PRESTON, a village and a parish in Uppingham district, Rutland. The village stands 1½ mile S W of Manton r. station, and 2 N by E of Uppingham; is old and pleasant; and has a post-office under Uppingham. The parish comprises 980 acres. Real property, £2, 848. Pop., 349. Houses, 77. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Nevilles, and belongs now to the Earl of Gainsborough. P. Hall is the seat of the Rev. W. Belgrave. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. S. Shield and thelate W. Belgrave, Esq. The church is ancient; includessome remains of Saxon architecture; was recently restored; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a slightly endowed national school, and charities £8.

Preston through time

Preston is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1990

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston ".