Place:


Nutfield  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nutfield like this:

NUTFIELD, a village and a parish in Reigate district, Surrey. The village stands 2 miles E by N of Redhill-Junction r. station, and 3¾ E by N of Reigate; and has a post-office under Redhill. The parish comprises 3, 373acres. Real property, £4, 742. Pop. in 1851, 895; in 1861, 997. ...


Houses, 178. The property is subdivided-Patteson Court, Ridge Green, Court Lodge, Holmsdale Lodge, and Hall Land are chief residences. Fullers' earth has been dug here for centuries, and is exported, to the amount of about 6,000 tons annually, to many parts of the United Kingdom. Building stone and hearth-stone also are largely quarried. The fullers' earthbeds contain sulphate of barytes in detached nodular masses; and the sandstone beds contain, among other fossils, a large species of ammonite and a nautilus. A near then vessel, containing about 900 Roman coins, was found in 1755. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £725.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church stands in a picturesque situation; is chiefly early decorated English, partly later English; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with embattled W tower; was repaired in 1859; and contains an old monument of Sir Thomas de Roldham, and a brass of W. Grafton. There is a national school.

Nutfield through time

Nutfield is now part of Tandridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tandridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nutfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nutfield, in Tandridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1965

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nutfield ".