Place:


Yealmpton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yealmpton like this:

YEALMPTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Plympton-St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands on the river Yealm, 4½ miles SE of Plympton r. station; was anciently known as Yealhampton; was once an important place, with the status of a borough; is now much decayed; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a post-office‡ under Plympton, and a monthly cattle market. ...


The parish includes Yealm-Bridge, Dunston, Yeo, Weston, and Lyneham hamlets; and comprises 3,432 acres of land , and 105 of water. Real property, £6,966. Pop. in 1851, 1,155; in 1861, 1,035. Houses, 227. The manor belonged to the Saxon king Ethelwold; passed to the Fitzherberts, the Hastingses, and others; and belongs now to B. J. P. Bastard, Esq. There are several good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £355.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church was partly restored but mainly rebuilt in 1850, at a cost of about £7,500. There are a Methodist chapel and national schools.—The sub-district contains 8 parishes. Acres, 27,760. Pop., 9,209. Houses, 1,831.

Yealmpton through time

Yealmpton is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yealmpton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yealmpton, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1902

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yealmpton ".