Place:


Lamesley  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lamesley like this:

LAMESLEY, a parochial chapelry in Chester-le-Street district, Durham; on Urpeth burn and the river Team, 4 miles S of Gateshead r. station. Post-town, Gateshead. Real property, £13,075; of which £6,373 are in mines, £112 in quarries, and £1,000 in railways. Pop. in 1851,1,914; in 1861,2,233. ...


Houses, 366. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Ravensworth. There are extensive collieries, beds of ironstone, and quarries for grindstones. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £138 .* Patron, Lord Ravensworth. The church was rebuilt in 1759; has a tower of 1 821; and contains a carved pulpit. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, national schools, and charities £40.

Lamesley through time

Lamesley is now part of Gateshead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gateshead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lamesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lamesley, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1877

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lamesley ".