Place:


Modbury  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Modbury like this:

Modbury, small town and par., Devon, 3½ miles SE. of Ivybridge and 12 miles E. of Plymouth, 6258 ac., pop. 1543; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. This town has an ancient history. Modbury Court (now in ruins), long the seat of the Champernownes, was fortified as early as 1334; it was garrisoned by the Parliamentarians in 1642. Modbury has an agricultural trade, also tanning, &c.

Modbury through time

Modbury is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Modbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Modbury, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1869

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Modbury ".