Place:


Kenton  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kenton like this:

KENTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands in the valley of the Kenn, 1 mile W of the estuary of the Exe, 1½ mile NW of Starcross r. station, and 6½ SSE of Exeter; was once a market town; and has a post office under Exeter, and a pleasure fair on Whit-Wednesday. ...


The parish contains also the village of Starcross. Acres, 6, 811; of which 930 are water. Pop., 1, 961. Houses, 424. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Heles, the Hungerfords, the Duke of Albemarle, and others; and belongs now to the Earl of Devon. Oxton House is the seat of J. B. Swete, Esq. Great Haldon hill extends along the W; and a tract called Cuttridge, with a pop. of 20, lies detached. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £265.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is of the time of Edward III.; comprises nave, aisle, and chancel, with pinnacled tower; and contains a very beautiful screen. The chapelries of Starcross and Cofton are separate benefices. There are national schools, and charities £16.—The sub-district excludes the Cuttridge tract; and contains all the rest of the parish, four other parishes, and most of another. Acres, 23, 084. Pop., 5, 442. Houses, 995.

Kenton through time

Kenton is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kenton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kenton, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1857

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kenton ".